The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Elk Hunting Part II


Ok...so after we went to the ridge, we stopped at the in-laws' house, just to talk about or trip full of nothing and because it's on the way home. We stayed for about 1 1/2 hours then we had to leave because it was almost time for MacKenzie to get off the bus. Just as we were getting ready to leave, we noticed that all 200 head of cattle down below the house were in a virtual stampede. It was really weird, they were running in all sorts of directions. FIL got the binocs and was looking to see what had startled them. Didn't see anything so he decided to head down below...there may be a coyote so he grabbed a gun. We left about the same time as him.

Wayne and I got home before the bus. So we came up to the house and he decided he was going to blade the driveway since it was soft from all the rain and there are a TON of washboards all over the road. He gets in the tractor and heads to his folks' house 'cause that is where the blade is. I go down and get Mac and then we come back up to the house. Just as we get in, the phone is ringing. Caller ID says it's the in-laws. Wayne's dad was all excited and I could hardly understand what he was saying- something like this, "Hey, where's Wayne?" Me, "In a tractor on the way to your house to get the blade." Him, "Well you's better get down here NOW! I just shot an Elk and I need Wayne's help in getting it." Me, "Are you serious, or just pulling my leg?" Him, "No, I did! There's a herd of 150 down there! So hurry up!" Me, "Ok, I'll call Wayne and we'l l be right over." So I call Wayne and he says to hurry up and get in the truck and he'll meet us in the driveway...btw make sure the gun is still in the truck.

Ok, we hurry out. We get there and meet up with FIL, 2 nephews in a truck and MIL in her own rig. FIL tells Wayne where they are and that he is taking the boys down and dropping them off so they can hunt, then he will get the tractor with loader on and go get his Spike Elk. Wayne nearly kicks me out of the truck...just then MacKenzie wanted to go with him. She almost threw a FIT because he wasn't going to let her go. She didn't have any winter clothes on. Luckily my heavy stuff was all still in the truck from our earlier trip. So Mac gets to go! I get in the car with MIL and go back up to the house. Wayne and Mac go a different way to where the elk are supposed to be. On the way, Wayne calls his brother Rod. Rod and Brent (his son) meet Wayne and Mac at the gate on the high-way. They go their separate ways. During the ride over, Wayne is telling Mac all the rules about hunting...don't walk in front of the gun, don't walk on ____ side because the shell casing comes out and it will conk you on the head, don't stomp on bugs, don't make any noise, etc! They immediately spot this elk sitting down between 2 trees. They sneak up on it and Wayne takes the shot from 300-350 yards. He got it. They walk up to the elk, and as MacKenzie says, "It's legs were still moving, but dad says that's the reflexes- but just in case so it didn't jump up and stomp me, he shot it one more time in the neck." Funny girl!

Wayne calls MIL and me at her house. I got a 5 point! Can you come down and get MacKenzie? So we go down there just about the time Wayne and Mac get back to the gate. Wayne was worried that Mac would be sick and not handle it well when they were gutting it. So she leaves with gma, but Wayne wants me to stay. I was like, ummm...I am pregnant and I DON'T HANDLE THIS STUFF WELL!!! But I stayed because he wanted me to. So we drive through the sagebrush, rocks, juniper trees and whatever else could make it bumpy and we make it to the elk. At that time Matthew meets up with us. Thank you Jesus! Now I don't have to help :) I take Wayne's pic then I go back down to the truck where I am out of the way of the sounds and smells. Matthew said that Brent shot and hit, but it didn't take the elk down, so Tyler, Rod and Brent are looking for his elk. Anyway...this story goes on FOREVER! But we got Wayne's elk and FIL's up to the shop and they hung them from 2 different tractor loaders.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Gia said...

HUGE HUGE HUGE can you say HUGE? Man o man! So if the elk have more "horns" does that mean they are older? Or male or female or what? What does that mean when you compare Wayne's to Jeannie's?

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger ~Mandy~ said...

As a general rule, the more horns the older. Female do not have horns. A spike means just that- it's a young bull (male) and the horns haven't grown enough to horn out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security