The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Knitting...

Several years ago (my first husband was in Bosnia and I was home for a vacation- I think it was 1996), my Auntie Pam tried to teach my how to crochet. Just a very simple stitch required to make button socks. Well, I could not do this for some reason! I was not coordinated enough apparantly!

Fast forward to Quilt Camp '04. This is about the time that the fun fur yarn became really popular (at least in our area) in making scarves and hats. At camp, one of my Aunt's friends was going to teach a class on knitting and how to make these. Well I figured maybe I could knit, since crocheting for me, seemed hopeless. So I went and bought some pretty yarn and matching fun fur and my needles. By the end of the weekend, I had practiced, practiced and practiced...and FINALLY learned something new :) I never learned how to make a hat though. Then later on, I read about the round looms you could buy to make the hats. So I went out and bought the looms. I brought it home, really excited. I pulled out the instructions and was like, "What?!" I could not for the life of me figure it out...they were very poor instructions. So I just put it away with my yarn.

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago. A friend of mine, who had no talent for crafty things whatsoever, gave me a hat she made for my little man. A few days later, I went to my Aunt Jodie's house for Vanessa's baby shower and saw that she had a whole stack of those hats! She is not too crafty either. So I left there thinking, "If those 2 can make them, then surley I should be able to." So I went online in hopes of finding better directions than the ones provided in the kit. No such luck! But I found tons of feedback people had provided saying this was so easy!! That really encouraged me. It was about 9:30 pm and I could not sleep. So I went out to the storage shed (where my crafting stuff not used all the time are stored) and found the kit. I brought it in, read the instructions and started. I used some left over yarn that was nothing special. I made a section that was about 7" long. Then I put it away. The next evening, I started on a hat that was supposed to be for MacKenzie to match a scarf that I had already made (but I did not give it to her when it was finished, because it was supposed to be a set). I did very well on it :) They are beautiful, vibrant colors :) Today I went to go get them to take a photo, but they weren't where they are supposed to be! So my guess is that MacKenzie wore them to school today. I will have to nab them when she gets home and take a quick shot.

Since making MacKenzie's I have also made one for myself, one for little man, and I have started another one for little man...or someone else's little man (maybe Vanessa's or Stephanie's...if "it" turns out to be a boy). Wayne wants one now too...but he has so many beanies/stocking hats that I don't think he needs one...and I am sure he wouldn't wear it!!! I am now figuring how I can make just a headband instead of the actual hat. I know it wouldn't be too hard...just have to slow down and think about it before and while I am working on it :)

Ok, pic will follow later tonight...ballet class is right after MacKenzie gets off the bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security