The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Debbie Mumm? What?! Are you sure??!!


Picture #1...This is a project that my Aunt conjured up. She saw 2 totally different projects and decided she could transform them into 1. Well, I must say these turned out much better than I had invisioned. Making these D**** things was a battle, let me tell you! If you are wondering what they are...look really close and you are probably right! Yes, that's exactly what it is! How did you know! Gosh you are so smart!! No really, these are...hmm, I don't think we came up with a name for them. So I will explain what they are used for. You see, it (the twirly part) is out of an old boxspring mattress! The green glass thing suspended within (that looks like it is floating) is a candle votive! The whole thing is being suspended with a thick guage of craft wire (4 vertical wires stranded with beads). These 4 wires are all attached to yet another craft wire bent into a circle! When I got home, I realized that I had no idea how I was going to hang it from the ceiling! Then DH came in and said we would use my braided beading wire. So I patiently held the top of the circle while he cut and tied the wire. I was so pleased that he did not say much about hanging this thing in our room. He just wanted to make sure that it was not so heavy that it fell from the ceiling! Oh boy, my Firefighter Brother would not be happy about that; especially if there was a candle inside burning! His wife is forbidden to burn any candles in their home...LONG STORY! But funny, nonetheless! So, this is suspended in the corner of our room, closest to DH's side of the bed. We have only had 1 candle burn in it. Wow, is it ever a HUGE pain to get to! Anyway, this is mine...I do not have any pics of my Aunt's. Maybe she will post some on her blog. It was so much fun to make these. We're always coming up with something that should be simple to make; however doesn't usually work that way. We stayed up well into the wee hours of the morning bending wire, stringing beads (looking for just the right one) (dang you, you stole all the good ones!) (oh s***, the bead busted in half) (I bet if I force it, I can MAKE it work), cutting wire, getting poked by sharp wire, etc. I made 1...Auntie made 5? Or was it 6? I am not sure. But I am ANAL and had a color scheme. She is content with the "rustic" look, and had no color scheme. So each of hers took slightly less time than mine. Did I mention this entire project took about 4-5 hours? Umm, this is 1 time consuming and expensive project...so I could never sell this, I just don't think I could ever get $100 from it...afterall, that is how much my time is worth! I am laughing and crying just thinking about it!

Picture #2...This is the infamous Debbie Mumm birdbath made from terra cotta pots. No, these pots were not this beautiful when I purchased them. A very talented artist worked very painstakingly to creat the masterpiece above- me! If you believe any of that, maybe you should take 2 asprin and a nap! This is the second set that I made. The first one is so beyond ugly, I refuse to take a picture of it! In fact, there is so much paint on them, I don't think I can put anymore on to save it! Anyhow...I painted the top of this pink, after my "other" design did not work. Then when I had had enough, I just decided to blow my green/purple color scheme and pot it pink. Then the next morning, as I sat at the table staring at it, I realized what I should have done! Why didn't I paint this with vertical green and purple stripes? I discovered this on the day I was leaving to come back home. I knew it would not dry in time...so now I have this oddball piece. Oh well...it is a gift for someone for Mother's Day; not sure about this year though! Today as I pulled it out to take a picture, I remembered I had some of that Tulip puffy paint stuff. So I think eventually I will take that out and finish the dish on the top and put some dots around the lip and maybe some stuff in the middle! Anyhow...my Aunt made the Debbie Mumm lamps that were shown. I really liked them. That was quite the experience also. She turned a little anal on hers. She almosts was going to put both lamps on my Uncle's side of the bed. She did not want anyone to know she made them, and didn't want them anywhere near her side of the bed! Pam, we need some pics of those lamps! Have you got them put together yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security