The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Failed Induction

So I had a dr appt Friday @ 9:45. The appt wasn't for anything special, just a routine weekly OB check. Well, my BP was too high. And the first thing the dr said was that my face was really puffy. She checked my hands and feet, and they were swollen as well, but that's nothing new. So I was 36w6d and I knew I was going to have an internal exam as well as the GBS test done. I had to wait for what seemed like forever, because she had so many other patients to see. So she came back and did my exam...uterus was very posterior and not any progress as far as dilation or effacement. But she wanted to talk to me about my BP. The last several weeks my BP has been increasing, and it was 138/82. So she sent me over to the hospital for a non-stress test and some blood work. I was on the monitors for a long time, and everything was fine with baby and I was having no contractions. However, my blood work did not come back as good. My kidneys are not functioning as they should be. So she wanted me to come back that evening at 7 for an induction using cytotec. Because I trust my doctor so much, I followed her advice, even though I am not really for induction- especially at 37 weeks.

We (my mom, Wayne and me) showed up at the hospital at 7:25 pm. I got the first dose at 7:55 pm. Once it was inserted, I had to lie on my side for 30 minutes, then flat on my back for 2 hours, then I could get up and move around for 1 hour- and repeat all over again. I had a total of 3 doses and then my uterus began contracting really regularly and pretty intense. So I was no longer a candidate for the cytotec since it can cause hyperstimulation on the uterus. This was at 5 am Saturday morning. So my advice was to take a bit of a nap since I had not slept at all during the night. I think I slept about 15-30 minutes. Then I was pretty much up...phone calls, visitors, etc. I walked the halls for what felt like 5 miles, used the jacuzzi tub, sat on the birthing ball and just tried to stay upright to help things along. However by the time my doc came at noon, no more progress had been made since I was examined at 5 am and 7 am. So, for a total I made it to -3 station (I was not even registering before), very posterior to more of an anterior position, 0 dilation to a 2 dilation, 0 effacement to 50% effaced. Very disappointing to me...especially after 17 hours in the hospital :( But when you think these things take days to happen at home (or wherever) to begin preparing our bodies for labor...I did pretty good- considering.

So, today not much has happened. I feel contractions, but nothing to write home about. Some pain in the region below. So it does not appear my body will do anything more on it's own. Therefore, tomorrow I am to go into the hospital at 8am for a NST and to have an internal exam. If the exam shows my uterus has not progressed any further and I am not having a contraction pattern, they will try 1 more cytotec. If nothing happens with that...then it will depend what my BP is. If it is good, then I can choose to have the pitocin or I can choose to go home. If it is too high, they will admit me and I will not have a choice- but have to have the pitocin. My big worry is that the pit will be too much, too soon- my body is not ready (Fri and Sat proved that) and I will end up having to have a c-section. What happens, happens...I just want the baby and me to be fine. This afternoon my BP was 145/92. When I was in the hospital it had gone down...I was surprised considering I felt really stressed out!! Anyway, that's all I have to say!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security