The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's wrong with this picture?


Yesterday my Mom and I went to the Memorial Gardens where my Grandparents are. This was the first time we had been there since the name plates were placed. We went to take some flowers to them, as their anniversary is this coming Saturday (6/30/45). This ended up being quite a process!!! On the way to Bend, my Mom mentioned that she wondered what the cemetery people did with all the vases after the flowers that were brought in them had died. I said they probably had a good collection of them. I told her maybe she should write her name on the bottom of hers so we could pick it up in the office next time we went and took more flowers...not that any of these vases are expensive or sentimental, but eventually you run out of them at home. *****So we arrive at the mausoleum where my Grandparents' crypt is. They are the third tier from the bottom (I think there are 5 rows high), so it is up there aways! My Mom looks up there and says, "Hmmm, I don't think this vase is going to fit." I just looked at her, puzzled? I thought the purpose of the vase was to set it on the ground. When I questioned her she said she thought she was going to put the vase in the holder mounted on the marble. If she would have just told me that when we left I could have told her I knew that vase was NOT going to fit. Her thing was, she did not want to put the vase on the floor. People would then not know it was for The Hamilton's- which I guess I don't blame her. *****So we step back and look up at the wall wondering what our next move will be. It was then that my mom said to me, "Oh my gosh! Look at Daddy's name!" I carefully looked, expecting to see it mis-spelled or something. At first my eyes were playing tricks on me...I thought I saw 3 F's in Clifford, but they cleared and that was not the problem. Then it dawned on me! His middle initial read "A." Well you see, my Grandpa's middle name is Roy- and last I checked Roy does not start with an "A." So I did not know what to say to my mom. I was not quite sure how she was going to handle this- tears or laughter? So I replied to her, "Oh, it's an A." Those seemed like safe enough words to me :) Then she started laughing with tears rolling down her cheeks! Phew!!! I then said, "Clifford Albert." We got a good laugh over that! We are convinced that my Grandpa WAS NOT happy over this and that my grandma thought it was hysterical! The joke was that Grandma was rolling around (in her grave) and Grandpa had been too! But Pam says G'ma doesn't have enough room...Grandpa's urn is placed at her feet!!! As soon as we caught this error I went out to my truck...I just happened to have my camera with me. *****When I came back in, my Mom had grabbed a bench that did not look so sturdy. Her plan was to stand on the bench and try to reach the vase that was supplied with the holder on the marble. After I checked to make sure the bench was 'tolerable', I helped my Mom climb up there. She barely was able to get the vase out...and she is 5'11"! So she handed it to me and I put the flowers in, added water and tied the ribbon on it. Mom had a hard time getting the vase back in- but she managed. So we have decided that we are going to make some 'permanent' arrangements that we can change out for different seasons. We scouted out several that we liked and I got some pics of them. So next time, I think we will bring a ladder with us! :) *****The rest of the day we were coming up with middle names for my Grandpa- Alvis, Alvin, Arlene, etc. *****When my Mom and I went to the Funeral Home the Monday after my Grandma arrived from North Bend we had to go over the paperwork with the director. He did have my Grandpa's middle initial as "A" but I caught it and pointed out it was incorrect and he crossed it out and wrote the correct initial of "R." So, who knows why this was still done wrong. My Mom will call the office and get it taken care of. Maybe it will be correct next time we go- with our ladder :) Tee Hee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security