The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Saturday, May 13, 2006

My poor daughter suffers from migraines, help!

My darling, beautiful daughter is not well today. The morning started out fine. We ate cereal in bed while watching cartoons. Didn't do much until about 12. I sent her outside to play. She came inside after only a few minutes and said she was hot. Wayne went out and said it wasn't hot at all. I didn't think anything of it...just that she wanted to be inside with me. Anyway, the two of them went into town to get me something for MD. I took that time to go to my folks' to feed the animals, water plants, check mail, etc. Wayne called and said they were home and Mac had thrown up 3 times while in town. Then once they got home, 2 more times. So I finished what I was doing and came home. Poor little hot bodied little thing! She was crashed on my side of the bed. I woke her (not really, she was having a fitful sleep) to see if she needed anything, and she had to get sick again. That made #6! I pulled her hair back out of her face, took off her shorts, and put a cold washcloth on her head. She has been sleeping deeply ever since (about 3:20). I went in and layed down with her. She woke up long enough to tell me she wanted to hold me! How nice it was to have my baby girl's arms around me. I stayed for at least half an hour, but could not lie down any longer. I moved and put a neck pillow under her arm so she was holding something. I think she had to get sick so many times because Wayne bought a water bottle for her, afraid she would become dehydrated. That is a mistake. I know she needs fluids, but I have learned not to force them on her until she has taken her 3-6 hour nap. If I give it before she is ready, she will just throw it up. Anyway, he tried...and he did it w/o calling me 20 times to ask what to do. Maybe there is hope for him to be a dad someday! Now he just needs to understand that we (Dr El-Attar and myself) have no idea what triggers her migraines. I have kept logs and done comparisons between each of them, and nothing ever seems to be consistent. Anyway...below is some info on migraines. I just wanted to see if there was any new info since last time I checked...and nothing!
*******************************************************************************
Ten percent of children get migraines, and an even higher percentage of teenagers have them. These headaches are very painful and throbbing, and children who have them often look ill and pale. Relief is usually linked with sleep. This is the only thing that work for baby girl! Poor thing! She could easily sleep up to 6 hours, w/o waking up!

Migraineurs have various signs and symptoms. Typically, a child migraineur has a severe headache located around the eyes, in the front of the head, or in the temples. Some children experience vision changes ("auras") during a headache. A sick feeling in the stomach or vomiting is common. Many children avoid bright lights, loud noises, or strong odors, as these seem to make the headache worse. The severe head pain is often completely relieved by deep sleep. Poor little thing always tells me her "forehead hurts" and I know she is getting a migraine! Then we have to watch very carefully because she always has to throw up. Sometimes it is just one time, and sometimes several. Today she threw up 6 times :(

Immediate treatment
At the time of attack, parents should have the child lie down in a cool, dark, quiet room to help him or her fall asleep. Sleep is the most powerful and best antimigraine treatment. During a migrainous attack, a child can often be found resting in the fetal position with the affected side of the head down.
This is exactly what BG does. She is in my bed right now, sleeping away that headache!

Frequency
Studies suggest that migraine headaches occur in 5-10% of school-aged children in the United States, a percentage that constantly increases through adolescence and peaks at about age 44 years. Many people experience spontaneous remission, meaning that the headaches go away on their own for no clear reason.
Brad suffered from migraines at a young age, but they disappeared. His sister started to get them in her teens, and still has them to this day.

Age
Most migraineurs begin to experience attacks before turning 20 years old. Approximately 20% have their first attack before their fifth birthday. MacKenzie had her first migraine at 3 years old, that is way too young to be in that much pain! I feel so bad when she feels bad- makes my heart hurt :( Preschool children experiencing a migraine attack usually look ill and have
abdominal pain, vomiting, and a strong need to sleep. They may show pain by irritability, crying, rocking, or seeking a dark room in which to sleep.

Migraineurs aged 5-10 years experience headache, nausea, abdominal cramping, vomiting, photophobia (sensitivity to light), phonophobia (sensitivity to sound), osmophobia (sensitivity to smells), and a need to sleep. They usually fall asleep within an hour of the time the attack starts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security