The Farmer Takes A Wife (this one)

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Today's Ultrasound and Dr Appt


We had to be at the hospital at 9 am for the u/s. We got there just on time...but had to wait for 15 minutes for the tech to come get us. I was irritated because I had an appt at the dr's office at 9:30. I had Wayne call them and tell them I was going to be late.

So we get in the room. I had a different tech than all the other times I had been in. She was ok...more knowledgable (since she was older and had been doing this job longer I am sure) but her bedside manners were not the same as the other gals. First thing off she said was this was going to go fast since she just had to look for a few things and not do measurements- so it didn't matter that she was late. I was like, no measurements- that wasn't my understanding. So she called the dr and basically talked the dr out of taking measurements because they could be off +/- 1 pound, so it wasn't very accurate at this stage and it could take awhile to get them because the baby's parts are hard to get to due to it being very crowded in there. Yeah, so I was really happy, NOT! Anyway, I guess they had to look for 8 things and I got a point for each thing if they were able to see it on the u/s. I can't really remember all of them- but a few are, breathing (movement of the diaphragm), heart rate, flow of blood through the umbilical cord...um and I just drew a blank. Anyway the baby decided at the end he wanted to sleep, so we had to wait a few minutes to see the diaphragm move. She saw the kidneys and said they were "beautiful." We also got a sideview profile of his face, along with a pic. He has grown a rather large nose, at least it appears- not my nose, looks like a Fessler nose to me. I asked her to show me the position the baby is in since I rarely feel him in my ribs. He is head down, spine up and on my left side, in the fetal position and then "bent in half." She said it was a very interesting position :) Anyway, it was nice to see my little man, although at this point not much was distinguishable!

We get to the dr's and we were about 10 minutes late. No big deal, but they were REALLY busy. Weighed in and then went pee in a cup. When I came into the examining room Wayne said I had lost 3 pounds. I was like, "so?" No big deal. I haven't been eating as much, not a very good appetite, and what I have been eating has been very carefully selected. My nurse walks in and says she thinks it's going to be anyday...from what she sees, most women lose 3-5 pounds just before baby arrives. She took my bp and said it was actually normal for once! I was surprised especially after my visit to the hospital! The nurse forgot to take my blood to do a complete work-up, so I guess we won't know how my kidneys and such are doing this week from last week...but I didn't want to turn around and go back in, and the doc said that was fine :)

Then the dumb med student came in and asked me some questions about how I had been feeling. She said she thought I lost 3 pounds because I was loosing some of the water weight...yeah whatever. I haven't been peeing anymore than normal and my swelling is at the worst it has been. But I didn't say anything. She gave me some lap blankets and told me to undress from the waist down and the dr would be in.

Dr comes in and measures my fundus, listens to baby's heart. All is fine. Then asks if I want her to strip my membranes. I said we might as well. I am still 2 cm, but my cervix has begun to thicken back up and rise in my abdomen. So instead of being like -2 or -3 station, I am back at a -5 or so. When she found my cervix she could not feel the top of the baby's head. So he has enough room in there that he has unlodged himself and is free-floating. She wasn't able to strip my membranes very well...it wasn't really painful, and I have not experienced any contractions. But I guess we tried.

After that she asked me what I wanted to do. I had mentioned to her that if the 3rd time failed, and the baby was still fine, I would wait because I did not want a c-section. She said that was fine with her- but she didn't want me to keep going through an emotional rollercoaster. So last we had talked we were going to try induction on Sun or Mon (Mar 11 or 12). But she said for now, we will hold off. I have to go to the hospital for NST , BP and bloodwork on Monday (12th). Induction will depend on BP. If all is fine, then we will go back to the hospital for the same thing on Thurs (15th). Again, induction will depend on BP. On Sat (17th) is my due date...40 weeks. I would LOVE to be induced and have baby on that day- as would Wayne. But dr's son is taking skiing lessons and she is unavailable. So the tentative plan is for induction on Sun (18th)- that is if all the next appts go well. Anyway...sorry this is kind of long tonight- I just had to feel like I was getting it all out somehow- but don't really want to "talk" about it with anyone...if that makes sense! I just feel like a yo-yo right now. I wish I could have a really good, long, hard cry. The tears are there, they just don't want to come out :(

1 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

You go ahead and have that cry if you can! :) Its normal for you to be feeling so many things - so much stress and excitment at the same time. Crying helps get all that "out", doesn't it? :) I'm excited for you - you get to look into your son's eyes for the first time, very shortly. Yeah! What a great day it wil be.

Blessings,
Tracy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet Providers Home Security